Monday, February 21, 2011

Microsoft Word 2010 Shading Fill Bug

I found today what appears to be a bug with the Shading tool in Microsoft Word 2010 when dealing with tables. The build of Microsoft Word I'm using is 14.0.5123.5000.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64. My installation of Office 2010 is 32bit.

My word document I'm working on is in docx format.

The problem comes around selecting an existing colour from a table.

Here i have my cursor in a light blue table:



To get the RGB color code I go to "Shading" --> "More Colors".



However its coming up with my current color as black (see bottom right). It comes up as black not light blue!



If I click OK it will make my cell black.



Now I undo my change (CTRL + Z).



Now I go back to "Shading" --> "More Colors"



My light blue color is now coming up correctly.



If I close my word document and re-open it, the problem does not re-occur.

If I log off my session and log back in, the problem re-occurs.

I reported this bug to Microsoft on the following forum thread:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/word/thread/2f95341a-e0af-4a7b-b6dd-8d4fca54d939

1 comment:

  1. I have something very similar in Microsoft Word 2010 myself. Say I want to apply shading to some text in Word 2010. I select the text (which is yellow in this case), and then go into the Page Layout tab, then choose the Page Borders icon, and then the Shading tab. On the right-hand side, my text "Yellow" is shown in yellow. I then choose my text fill colour as black (because I want the text in "Inverse Video", with yellow text around a black border.) I leave the pattern style at its default setting ("Clear.") On the right-hand side, I see a preview of what my text will look like (correctly being shown in yellow with a black border.)

    I leave the "Apply To" option at its default ("Text.") Now, this is OK so far.

    Yet, as soon as I choose "OK", the word "Yellow" is shown in _white_ text with a black border! Just what is going on?

    I tried this Microsoft Word 2010 test on an older version of Microsoft Word (Word 2007) at a local training centre with the same Word document last year, and this time, the text correctly showed up in yellow with a black border. Why the hell did Microsoft mess this up in Word 2010? And to add insult to injury, there are no Microsoft Word 2010 Service Packs to fix this bug yet (as far as I know, anyway.)

    Please let me know what you think about all of this, because when I read about your Microsoft Word 2010 bug, it seemed an even worse one than the one I came across!

    Alastair C Parker

    ReplyDelete